Right now, Childhood obesity is at an epidemic. More children than ever are obese and being diagnosed with serious issues like diabetes and heart problems later in life. While it is very important to speak to your healthcare provider before starting a child on a calorie controlled diet, there are ways that we can help to prevent obesity, and help the child to develop healthier habits:
1. Encourage healthy eating by always providing fresh fruit and vegetables at meal and snack times and exercising portion control.
2. Make their favourite dishes healthier by tweaking the ingredients -using courgetti or spiralised carrot instead of spaghetti, or blending vegetables into sauces.
3. Remove calorie rich temptations by having healthy snack options such as fruit, seeds, nuts or crudites. Treats are fine in moderation though!
4. Educate your kids on the benefits of physical activity and help them to do it by going out for walks, swimming or taking part in team sports or after school activities.
5. Reduce the time they spend being sedentary (tv, video games etc) to around 2 hours a day if possible.